TERM 3 CLASSES BEGIN THE WEEK OF MONDAY 2 AUGUST 2021.
Environment and Biodiversity Courses
Additional Environment, Natural History and Biodiversity courses will be added soon for the launch of this new series in August 2021, so check back again soon for more details!
Photos by George Lusty.
Environment, Natural History and Biodiversity Courses:
• ENV203: “Native Forest Restoration” with George Lusty
If you want to find out more about how to restore your local piece of native forest, then this course is for you. This series of 8 classes explores the background and methodology of native forest restoration in the Hamilton and Waikato areas. Local plants, animals, environmental zones and forest restoration methods will be discussed. There will be a field trip including theoretical and practical experience.
OFFERED: 2021 Term 3, beginning Tuesday 3 August 2021
• ENV304: “Astronomy: The New Zealand Night Sky” with Ian Transom
This course will first be offered in 2022 Term 1 beginning in February 2022. Details soon.
More courses ranging from Astronomy to Zoology coming in Term 3!
Please note our MULTICULTURAL TREE PLANTING event has been postponed from Saturday 19 June 2021 to Saturday 26 June 2021. Visit our Events page for more details!
For more detailed information on each series or course, when offered, class times and locations, and course fees and registration) click on the appropriate links to courses listed above.
If the course you are interested in is not currently being taught, rest assured that it will be again in the future as we continuously add new courses and rotate previously taught courses. Please contact us if you are an experienced teacher and wish to teach a short course in environment, natural history and biodiversity in the future.
SOME NOTES ON OUR ENVIRONMENTAL COURSE OFFERINGS:
- All classes are taught from an objective point of view. These are courses about Aotearoa New Zealand Natural History, designed to increase our understanding of the wonderful biodiversity that surrounds us..
- Any Term can be taken independently of the others, and there are no prerequisites for any of our Term courses.
- All classes encourage questions and group discussion. There are no assignments, required readings, quizzes, tests or exams.
- PDF copies of each class presentation are emailed to all participants the next day so that you are free to focus on class content rather than taking notes. You are most welcome to come, sit back, relax, take part in your learning and enjoy the discussions!
- Course fees include a short tea/coffee/snack break in the middle of each session.
- Some courses in this series include field trips and excursions. Please check the course page for details.
- There are no refunds for missed classes.
- Guests of registered participants are welcome to attend a single class at no charge.
- Certificates of Completion for any particular Term Course or Series are available for Professional Development purposes upon request at the end of each Term or Series.
2021 TERM DATES & CLASS LOCATIONS:
- Term 1: begins the week on Mon 15 Feb, and ends Fri 9 Apr 2021
- Term 2: begins the week of Mon 10 May, and ends Fri 2 Jul 2021
- Term 3: begins the week of Mon 2 Aug, and ends Fri 24 Sep 2021
- Term 4: begins the week of Mon 18 Oct, and ends Fri 10 Dec 2021
Hamilton: Hamilton classes are held in the classrooms at EarthDiverse/Artmakers Trust, Norris Ward Park Arts Centre, 2 Seddon Road, Hamilton. The carpark entrance is off Seddon Road at the back of Norris Ward Park. The classroom is immediately to the left of the Waikato Society of Potters studio. There is plenty of free parking available in the carpark just outside the classroom.
TERM COST PER COURSE:
HAMILTON & DISTANCE-LEARNING COURSES (8-week Terms):
- Waged: $125 per person per term (includes GST + online registration fee)
- Unwaged/Student/Senior: $100 per person per term (includes GST + online registration fee)
In addition to our regular in-person classes offered in Hamilton, we offer ‘Distance Learning’ options for all of our courses. These on-line live-streaming distance-learning options are offered via free Zoom software. Distance-learning options have been added for those living outside the Waikato or for those unable to attend our in-person classes in Hamilton. If you are a Distance-Learner you have the option of joining our regular live classroom sessions via Zoom at the regularly scheduled class time, or you can watch a video-recording of the Zoom classroom session at your leisure and study at your own pace.
Your instructor will send you instructions once you have registered for your course.
Select the appropriate course link above, which will take you to the page for that particular course. Read the details for that course, and if you’d like to register, click on the blue “Register” button which will take you to Registration and Payment pages where you can securely enter in your payment details. A receipt will automatically be generated for you.