Spanish is a Romance language that originated in the Iberian Peninsula of Europe. Today, it is a global language with nearly 500 million native speakers, mainly in Spain and the Americas. It is the world’s second-most spoken native language after Mandarin Chinese, and the world’s fourth-most spoken language overall after English, Mandarin Chinese and Hindi. According to the 2018 New Zealand Census, it is spoken by 38,823 New Zealanders.
SPANISH LANGUAGE COURSES:
TERM 4 SPANISH HERITAGE LANGUAGE CLASSES FOR THE CHILDREN OF SPANISH SPEAKING COMMUNITIES BEGIN THE WEEK OF MONDAY 17 OCTOBER 2022. ENROL NOW!
OUR ADULT TERM 4 SPANISH LANGUAGE COURSES ALSO BEGIN THE WEEK STARTING MONDAY 17 OCTOBER 2022
Our Introductory Spanish courses begin with a focus on conversational skills, vocabulary, reading and writing practice, and an introduction to Spanish grammar. Subsequent Terms reinforce both reading and writing, and introduce additional grammar, vocabulary and conversation. Basic everyday vocabulary and expressions are taught, with a view to empowering learners to speak basic Spanish from the very beginning.
EarthDiverse currently offers the following Spanish language courses on a rotating and evolving basis, with new intakes of students twice a year. 101 and 103 courses are offered in Terms 1 and 3 each year, and 102 and 104 courses are offered in Terms 2 & 4 each year. If you’re interested in starting a new language from scratch, you can do so twice a year, in Term 1 (early February) or Term 3 (July/August). If you have some elementary understanding, you may consider starting in a 102 or 103 course as well.
- Spanish 101: Introductory Spanish Part 1, (offered in Term 1 & Term 3 every year)
- Spanish 102: Introductory Spanish Part 2, (offered in Term 2 & Term 4 every year)
- Spanish 103: Introductory Spanish Part 3, (offered in Term 1 & Term 3 every year)
- Spanish 104: Introductory Spanish Part 4, (offered in Term 2 & Term 4 every year)
- Spanish 201: Intermediate Spanish Part 1 (offered in Term 1 & Term 3 every year)
- Spanish 202: Intermediate Spanish, Part 2 (coming soon!)
- Spanish 400: Conversational Spanish (starting in 2022 Term 4)
OUR TERM 4 CONTINUING HERITAGE LANGUAGE COURSES FOR THE CHILDREN OF SPANISH-SPEAKING COMMUNITIES BEGIN THE WEEK OF MONDAY 17 OCTOBER 2022!
Click here for information on our Heritage Spanish Language programmes for children of Spanish-speaking migrants.
- Heritage Spanish 001: Developing Speaking Skills (not currently offered in 2022 Term 4)
- Heritage Spanish 002: Developing Reading & Writing Skills (Wednesdays 4-5pm)
- Heritage Spanish 003: Developing All Speaking, Reading & Writing Skills (Fridays 4-5pm)
Please note that these courses have special registration requirements and pricing, outlined on each course page.
LOCATION: EarthDiverse Centre, 401 Anglesea Street, Hamilton Central, Hamilton, on-line via Zoom, or through video recordings of our live-streamed sessions posted 1-2 days after each class.
DISTANCE-LEARNING OPTIONS: Our Spanish language courses offer distance learning options for those unable to attend classes in-person. Live-streamed classes are available via free Zoom software, or those unable to attend the date and time of the actual class sessions can watch the live-recorded video sessions on their computers, laptops, tablets or mobile devices and study at their own pace. These recorded sessions will be available soon after each class finishes so that you may watch the recorded video via any web-browser at your leisure. Your instructor will provide details on how to access your classes before your course begins.
COST PER PERSON PER TERM (8 classes):
- Waged: NZ$150.00 per person per term (includes GST + online registration fee)
- Unwaged (unemployed, students, seniors): NZ$125.00 per person per term (includes GST + online registration fee)
Our Spanish Heritage Language courses are differently priced, so please visit the appropriate pages for more information and costs for each of the three new programmes on offer for kids aged 5-13.
EarthDiverse offered the following language classes on a rotating basis:
SPANISH COURSES OFFERED IN 2022 TERM 4 ARE:
- Introductory Spanish 102 (Tuesdays beginning 18 October, 5:00-6:30pm)
- Introductory Spanish 104 (Mondays beginning 17 October, 5:00-6:30pm)
- Conversational Spanish 400 (Mondays beginning 17 Oct, 7:00-8:30pm)
- Heritage Spanish 001: Developing Speaking Skills (Tuesdays beginning 18 October, 4-5pm)
- Heritage Spanish 002: Developing Reading & Writing Skills (Wednesdays beginning 19 October, 4-5pm)
- Heritage Spanish 003: Developing All Speaking, Reading & Writing Skills (Fridays beginning 21 October, 4-5pm)
SPANISH COURSES OFFERED IN 2023 TERM 1 ARE:
- Introductory Spanish 101 (new cohort date and time to be decided)
- Introductory Spanish 103 (Tuesdays beginning 14 Feb 2023, 5:00-6:30pm)
- Intermediate Spanish 201 (Mondays beginning 13 Feb 2023, 5:00-6:30pm)
- Conversational Spanish 400 (Mondays beginning 13 Feb 2023, 7:00-8:30pm)
- Heritage Spanish 011: Developing Speaking Skills (Tuesdays beginning 14 Feb 2023, 4-5pm)
- Heritage Spanish 021: Developing Reading & Writing Skills (Wednesdays beginning 15 Feb 2023, 4-5pm)
- Heritage Spanish 031: Developing All Speaking, Reading & Writing Skills (Fridays beginning 17 Feb 2023, 4-5pm)
FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON EACH COURSE, PLEASE CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE TILE BELOW: