THAI (ภาษาไทย) LANGUAGE COURSES:
Thai is the national and official language of Thailand, one of over 60 distinct languages spoken there. Over half of its vocabulary is derived from or borrowed from Pali, Sanskrit, Mon and Old Khmer, and it is a tonal language, similar to Chinese and Vietnamese. The Thai script is written from left to right. As there is no universally applied method for transcribing Thai into the Latin alphabet, we recommend that learners of the Thai language first learn to master the Thai script.
Study Thai (ภาษาไทย) with EarthDiverse!
Our Introductory Thai (ภาษาไทย) language course begins with a focus on learning the Thai script, an introduction to Thai grammar, vocabulary, and conversational practice. Subsequent Terms reinforce both reading and writing, and introduce additional grammar, vocabulary and conversation. Basic everyday vocabulary and expressions are taught, with a view to empowering learners to speak basic Thai from the very beginning.
EarthDiverse currently offers the following Thai language classes on a rotating and evolving basis, with new intakes of students in Thai 101 beginning twice a year, in Term 1 (February) and again in Term 3 (July-August). 101 & 103 courses are offered in Terms 1 & 3 each year, and 102 & 104 courses are offered in Terms 2 & 4 each year. If you have some elementary understanding, you may consider starting in a 102 or 103 course as well. When completing one 8-week course, each cohort can begin advancing to the next course in the series.
- Thai 101: Introductory Thai, Part 1 (offered in Term 1 & Term 3)
- Thai 102: Introductory Thai, Part 2 (offered in Term 2 & Term 4)
- Thai 103: Introductory Thai, Part 3 (offered in Term 1 & Term 3)
- Thai 104: Introductory Thai, Part 4 (offered in Term 2 & Term 4)
- Thai 201: Intermediate Thai, Part 1 (offered in Term 1 & Term 3)
- Thai 202: Intermediate Thai, Part 2 (offered in Term 2 & Term 4)
- Thai 203: Intermediate Thai, Part 3 (offered in Term 1 & Term 3)
- Thai 204: Intermediate Thai, Part 4 (offered in Term 2 & Term 4)
LOCATION: While EarthDiverse is located at 401 Anglesea Street, First Floor, Hamilton Central, Hamilton (see map under the blue Location tab on each course page), Our Thai courses will only be offered on-line via Zoom during the coming Term, or through video recordings of our live-streamed sessions posted 1-2 days after each class.
DISTANCE-LEARNING OPTIONS: Our Thai courses offer distance learning options for those unable to attend classes in-person. Live-streamed classes are available via free Zoom software, or those unable to attend the date and time of the actual class sessions can watch the live-recorded video sessions on their computers, laptops, tablets or mobile devices and study at their own pace. These recorded sessions will be available soon after each class finishes so that you may watch the recorded video via any web-browser at your leisure. Your instructor will provide details on how to access your classes before your course begins.
COST PER PERSON PER TERM (8 classes):
- Waged: NZ$150.00 per person per term (includes GST + online registration fee)
- Unwaged (unemployed, students, seniors): NZ$125.00 (includes GST + online registration fee)
EarthDiverse offers the following Thai language classes on a rotating basis:
FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON EACH COURSE, PLEASE CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE TILE BELOW: